Yummy!! We have just had our first taste of Ontario strawberries and they are so delicious! It also feels like a start to a great season of fresh, locally grown foods.
FOOD FACTS - STRAWBERRIES
- 8 strawberries contain as much vitamin C as an orange
- A serving of strawberries contains 2x as much fibre as a serving of grapes
- Strawberries contain high amounts of potassium
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside (about 200 on an average sized strawberry)
- 53% of kids aged 7-9 said their favourite fruit was strawberries
- Strawberries have been named a SUPERFOOD for their anti-oxidant powers
What's your favourite healthy way to enjoy strawberries? For us, it is simply as they are.
However, I do freeze a lot of Ontario berries to use throughout the winter in smoothies. Our girls love them in homemade popsicles as well.
To freeze berries is very simple. Cut off green tops and place them in a freeze bag. When closing try to remove as much air as possible. Place in freezer.
To make homemade Popsicles - we usually make a smoothie then add any extra to Popsicle moulds. We use a banana, a cup of fresh or frozen strawberries, 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of water. Blend using a blender and enjoy as a smoothie or place in Popsicle moulds and freeze.
Most importantly - enjoy them as much as possible before the season ends!